Frequently asked question (FAQ)
What is Colon Hydrotherapy?
Colon Hydrotherapy is a gentle cleansing of the colon or large intestine using only water, without drugs or other chemicals. The hot water infusion softens and removes dried feces, mucus, parasites and any waste matter that is stationed in the intestine and it restores the normal bacterial flora present, very often affected by an improper diet, constipation or from the use of drugs.
What are the benefits of Colon Hydrotherapy?
- Improvement of intestinal function
- Consequential benefits to all digestive functions: from digestion-assimilation of nutrients to better elimination of toxic waste
- Improvement of the condition of the skin, especially for those affected by acne or eczema
-Improved movement capability
- Improvement of posture
- Weight loss
- A more clear and efficient mind
- Improvement of the general health condition, greater vitality and sense of well-being
What are the clinical indications to performing Colon Hydrotherapy?
- Dysbiosis of the colon
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Diverticulosis of the colon
- Chronic inflammatory bowel diseases (ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease) not in the active stage
- Vaginitis from recurring candida or other germs
- Recurring cystitis
- Rehabilitation of bowel evacuation after proctological operations
- Preparation for diagnostic examinations of the colon (barium enema, retro colonoscopy)
- Programs for general purification
What are the contra-indications for performing Hydrocolontherapy?
- Intestinal Tumours
- Chronic inflammatory diseases in the acute stage
- Acute Diverticulitis
What are the signs that may have something to do with an inefficient elimination and intoxicated colon?
- Chronic headaches
- Bad breath and strong body odour
- Flatulence and abdominal swelling
- Irritability and depression
- Poor concentration
- Persistent tiredness
- Changes in posture (paunch)
- Brittle nails and hair
- Cold hands and feet
- Lower back pain
- Muscle and joint pain
- Difficulty in losing weight
- Weak immune function
What is the objectives of the treatment?
- Soften and remove hardened toxic material
- Carry out the replacement of the bacterial flora when this is altered (dysbiosis)
- To stimulate peristalsis (the natural movement that moves the material through the intestines). It makes for a real "gut workout" particularly useful for those who have lost their sensitivity to intestinal stimulus.
- Stimulate and strengthen the nerves, muscles, glands, circulatory and immune function of the digestive system
- Clean the intestinal wall to restore its optimal function.
How is Colon Hydrotherapy performed?
The patient lies comfortably on the couch, the only instrument to be introduced into the intestine is a small tube (speculum) which is sterile and lubricated and which has two ends, one that brings water into the intestine and another through which the material is discharged to the connecting equipment.
The therapist then performs the delicate infusion of filtered water into the colon, keeping the pressure and temperature constantly monitored. When the patient feels a sensation of fullness or urgency to discharge, the therapist opens the exhaust passage. The therapist uses various techniques of abdominal massage along with relaxation, breathing and suggestions for improving the effectiveness of therapy and comfort for the patient.
The water that carries the fecal matter, gas, mucus, toxins and anything else that passes through the equipment and can be monitored through a transparent, illuminated tube. The material then flows into the drain. You can view an explanatory VIDEO here.
Is Colon Hydrotherapy safe?
It is completely safe. The equipment used for Colon Hydrotherapy is approved according to CE standards. Both the tube and the speculum which are used are sterile and "disposable" and the possibility of contamination between different patients is totally excluded. The water that is used is normal drinking water suitably filtered from contaminants. The pressure and temperature of the water are monitored in every moment of the therapy for maximum comfort and safety.
Is it embarrassing or painful?
The dignity of the patient is fully preserved: the patient is covered by a towel, and the room is secluded for total privacy; the toilet is easy to reach and equipped for every need. Given that a closed system is used, there is no need to worry about leaks or odours. Mild pain or discomfort may be experienced during the course of the discharge in relation to bowel movements and the inflammatory state of the colon. Most of the treatments are very relaxing.
How many sessions are necessary?
The number of sessions depends on the individual needs of each patient. Most people who follow a traditional Mediterranean diet need about three sessions to obtain a thorough cleansing of the colon. Maintenance treatment carried out every two or three months is sometimes recommended to keep the colon balanced and toned.
How to prepare for a treatment?
To facilitate cleansing, eat plenty of fruits and vegetables and drink plenty of water in the days prior to the therapy. Sometimes a specific treatment is needed if the stools are regularly very dehydrated, and this is part of the therapist’s concern during the preliminary visit. On the day of the treatment it is advisable not to eat any food that is too heavy for two hours prior to therapy nor drink too much so as not to stimulate diuresis.
Who can you rely on to perform Colon Hydrotherapy?
Please read the related article click here